Thursday, October 4, 2012

The Ambiguity of Voting UNLV 2012

A little ambiguity goes a long way.

Considering my lack of politician participation in about everything, I find myself wondering why I get involved sometimes. Of course, I would rather see some senators be seated over others, so I suppose there is an inclination to vote. And indeed, I am an advocate of a "fair vote". There's a case to make for this here.

My voting experience today consists of this little story:

It's to my knowledge that the undergraduate college at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas has moved from using an older platform known as OrgSync to one with greater functionality dubbed collegiatelink.net. I haven't explored it entirely yet, but all of our data from the previous site has been ported over. This was done during the summer or sometime.

One of the appealing functions of link.net was the secure voting and it's here where a question I have arises. At UNLV, we're on our 2nd day of student government elections. I just voted, and here are 3 screen shots I would like to share with you all.

photo 1.0

photo 1.1

photo 1.2

[At this point let me state that I've always been a fan of the "None of the Above" option, and that I very much dislike my state for vanquishing it this upcoming election.]

I wanted to know if anyone was only getting 2 pages in their "ballot". With that stated, notice how I'm forced to vote for 6 out of the 8 Rebel Yell advisory board members.. I'm being forced to select these people. To be honest, the main criteria was on how long their last names were. But, also notice how I was given the option to vote for these members twice.

Now notice how I'm actually voting for 5 senators, 2 from one, and 3 from another college. Apparently my self and others like me are more special. Not only does our voting get counted more than yours, but I was asked (on two separate occasions) to vote for these [RY] board members. Or more like, forced to vote for some of them twice! Now I don't remember, but now I'm wondering if this system would have allowed me to click on submit without having everything checked on as required. It's doubtful, seeing as "required" is placed up there.

What should I make of this? I'm not too sure at the moment. I'm an undergraduate majoring in two degrees within two different colleges at UNLV. Is this voting system really fair? And how many of these votes actually get counted? I believe today is a day to admire the intelligence of those that call themselves "ballot creators." It's a user error, or maybe we should blame link.net?




No comments:

Post a Comment

(-_-)...